Saturday, January 7, 2012

My Frugal Gardening Tips January Update





My Frugal Gardening Tips January Update

Back in the fall I had blogged about FRUGAL FALL GARDENING TIPS (Click HERE). Yes, this was before I started this facebook page Extreme Couponing Mommy. Although I am so happy with my plants I just had to share. The only thing I love more than couponing is gardening :) I just love my flower beds! My brag today is that MY BEGONIA IS BLOOMING!!!!!! Yes it's January in NY and you heard me right! This is just one area of my house where I have plants. We have been enjoying occasional Cherry Tomatoes still. And having herb plants in your kitchen is SO simple and saves a TON of money on purchasing them at the store. And of COURSE they taste better :) 

You can read my Frugal Fall Gardening Tips HERE and see the photos from then too!
But basically I find a use for just about anything for potting plants in. From cute little pails to baskets. And honestly you wouldn't believe how many pots people toss away to the curb in the fall. Yes, I hit the brakes for perfectly good things set to the curb :) Potting the plants, including peppers and cherry tomatoes, coleus, or ANY annuals allows you to bring them all in for the winter. You will have larger plants in the spring without having to spend a penny buying new ones! My one large Coleus potted with the Begonia is 2 1/2 years old, as is the pepper plant and the cherry tomatoes. The kids love all this too. And I just LOVE how homey it feels!